Shooting incident : PIMS cardiologist dies

ISLAMABAD: The chief of the cardiology department at the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (Pims), Prof Dr Shahid Nawaz Malik, who was shot on February 14, succumbed to his injuries on Friday. Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University Vice Chancellor Professor Javed Akram confirmed the death of the senior cardiologist, who had been in critical condition for the last week after he was shot by unidentified gunmen outside the VIP ward of the hospital. Talking to The Express Tribune, Akram said that the doctor was first admitted in Pims, but was later shifted to Combined Military Hospital at his family’s request. Malik’s body was shifted to Pims for postmortem and was later handed over to his family, who took it to their hometown near Chakwal for his funeral, Akram said.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 21st, 2015.

Shooting incident: Senior PIMS doctor succumbs to injuries

A senior doctor who was shot at the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (Pims) on February 14 succumbed to his injuries on Friday, Express News reported.

Dr Shahid Nawaz was the head of the hospital’s cardiology unit. He was shot in the head outside the VIP ward.

RELATED: Shots fired: PIMS cardiology chief critically injured

“The bullet injured the left side of his brain,” Pims spokesperson Dr Ayesha Ishani had told The Express Tribune.

She said Dr Nawaz, 57, was leaving the hospital and going to his car, which was parked near the cardiology department, when he was attacked at around 3:30pm.

Dr Nawaz was operated on for over 90 minutes and then shifted to the surgical intensive care unit (ICU).

The two gunmen escaped from the hospital unhindered. There is no footage of the attackers as the CCTV cameras installed at the hospital were also out-of-order, an official at the hospital added.

Dr Nawaz had worked with Pims for the last eight years. He was appointed head of cardiology two years ago. Nawaz has four daughters and two sons.

The attack was the second-targeted attack at the hospital in three weeks. Earlier, a 22-year-old nursing student was shot on the premises on January 23.

Boat incident: Indian coast guard DIG may face court martial, says report

Two days after Deputy Inspector General of the Indian Coast Guard BK Loshali was exposed as ordering to blow up a Pakistani fishing boat in a video, he penned an apology for his conduct to the Coast Guard High command, IBN reported on Friday. The apology, however, has not been accepted, according to sources.

It has been reported that there will be an inquiry which will eventually lead to a court martial with regards to the incident. Furthermore, the reputation of the Indian Coast Guard may have be tainted.

Defence Minister Khawaja Asif took notice on Wednesday of reports that India’s DIG Coast Guard admitted he ordered a Pakistani boat to be blown up, saying that the incident “tore off India’s veil of being a peaceful country of the region.”

Loshali has also reportedly been involved in a series of misdemeanors – he was removed from the operational command of a ship in 2008. He was also held to account for a high consumption of alcohol.

Boat incident: Coast guard’s statement exposed ‘Indian drama’, says FO

ISLAMABAD: Foreign Office on Friday said Pakistan welcomes the Indian government’s decision to send its foreign secretary to Islamabad.

Speaking at a news conference here, Foreign Office Spokesperson Tasnim Aslam said the dates for the foreign secretary-level talks have not yet been finalised.

She said that Pakistan believes in holding dialogue to improve its relationship with India.

Commenting on the Pakistani boat controversy, Tasnim said Indian coast guard DIG’s statement exposed the Indian “drama”.

Talking about the Afghan peace talks, the spokesperson said that Pakistan was ready to facilitate the reconciliation process.

Boat incident: PTI demands govt to take appropriate action against Indian aggression

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf (PTI) has demanded the government to immediately investigate and take appropriate action against India’s latest act of aggression in reference to the a Pakistani boast which was blown up by the Indian coast guard, adding that a “muted” statement by the defence minister is not sufficient.

“PTI demands the government to immediately investigate India’s latest act of aggression and take appropriate action,” a statement issued by the PTI quoted party chief Imran Khan.

“This unprovoked act of aggression is in violation of all international laws. That the boat was given no warning shows the aggressive Indian intent,” he added.

Imran further said that in order to cover up this illegal and inhuman action of their coastguards, the Indian government turned to lies, alleging the occupants were terrorists who blew themselves up. Now, the coastguards’ action has been revealed, the statement said.

“What is also clear is that the boat was probably that of poor Pakistani fishermen slaving away to feed their families, just as Indian fishermen do; both Pakistan and India are aware that often these poor fishermen stray into each other’s territorial waters, and are caught and then eventually sent back to their country. But, this time the boat was in international waters and the Indian coastguards’ action illegal,” the statement added.

On Wednesday, Defence Minister Khawaja Asif took notice of the reports that India’s DIG Coastguard admitted he had ordered a Pakistani boat to be blown up. Asif said that the incident “tore off India’s veil of being a peaceful country of the region.”

“…Pakistan’s desire for peace and coexistence in the region must not be seen as our weakness. The international community must also take notice of the incident which is tearing off India’s veil of being a peaceful country of the region,” a statement released by the defence ministry stated.

2012 fiery incident: New JIT formed to probe Baldia factory fire

KARACHI: 

The provincial government has constituted a new Joint Investigation Team (JIT) to probe into the 2012 Baldia Town factory fire incident which claimed the lives of around 259 workers in Karachi.

The decision was taken by the Sindh Home Department after Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif ordered reinvestigation by forming a new JIT during the apex committee meeting held at Governor House Sindh in Karachi recently.

According to the notification issued by the Home Ministry on Wednesday, the newly formed body would be headed by Additional IG Sindh Police’s Crime Branch Khadim Hussain Bhatti while officials of other law enforcement and intelligence agencies including Director Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and DIG Crimes Mushtaq Maher will be members of the team.

Earlier, a report prepared and submitted to the Sindh High Court by a JIT blamed Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) for the incident, however, the party had denied its involvement and termed the charge ‘fictitious’ and ‘biased’. It had also demanded for reinvestigation of the Baldia garment factory fire incident.

The newly formed JIT will reinvestigate the Baldia incident and also analyse the previous JIT report before sending it to the federal government upon completion.

On the other hand, the law enforcement agencies have also decided to recapture Mohammad Rizwan Qureshi and placed his name on the Exit Control List (ECL).

Qureshi’s name was highlighted in the media when the Rangers submitted the JIT report to the Sindh High Court (SHC) in the recent past which disclosed that MQM’s men set ablaze the factory after its owner refused to pay an extortion amount. But Qureshi has disappeared since he was released on bail.

Though a fresh JIT – comprising police officials, FIA and Rangers – has been formed, sources in the police department told The Express Tribune that the police have decided to put Qureshi’s name on the ECL.

Besides Qureshi, the request was also made for placing the names of other persons on ECL who were accused of being involved in the Baldia incident by Qureshi in the previous JIT.

A member of the newly formed body also told The Express Tribune that the team will also interrogate Qureshi after arresting him while they will also record the statements of the factory owners and the workers.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 19th, 2015.

Boat incident tears off India’s veil of being peaceful: Defence minister

ISLAMABAD: Defence Minister Khawaja Asif took notice on Wednesday of reports that India’s DIG Coast Guard admitted he ordered a Pakistani boat to be blown up, saying that the incident “tore off India’s veil of being a peaceful country of the region.”

“…Pakistan’s desire for peace and coexistence in the region must not be seen as our weakness. International community must also take notice of the incident which is tearing off India’s veil of being a peaceful country of the region,”a statement released by the Defence Ministry stated.

Earlier in the day, Indian media quoted DIG Coast Guard BK Loshali’s saying, “We blew off that Pakistani boat. We have blown them off….I was at Gandhinagar and I told at night, blow the boat off”.

Asif took notice of the news report, claiming that it reveals the false claims of Indian Defence Minister Monohar Parrikar regarding sad incident of blowing up a Pakistani boat on the night of December 31, 2014.

“The revelation … proves that the Indian Defence Ministry and defence minister of India were putting up a false story,” the statement added. “Loshali has contradicted his government’s statement by saying that Pakistani boat was attacked by Indian Coast Guard.”

New Delhi had claimed the crew of a Pakistani fishing boat blew up and sank their vessel after trying to evade capture at the hands of the Indian navy in a high-speed chase at sea last year.

Asif argued that India has violated international rules and disregarded the humanitarian considerations, adding apart from killing four innocent people on-board, India has been involved in several killings of Pakistanis, including the Samjhota Express incident.