KARACHI: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has decided against persuading former captain Rashid Latif to reverse his decision of withdrawing from the post of national chief selector; hence a new name is in the reckoning for the coveted job.
PCB chairman Najam Sethi, who was in Dubai to attend the crucial International Cricket Council (ICC) meeting when Latif refused to take charge as the chief selector, said he was disappointed with the former wicket-keeper’s decision.
Latif accepted the offer to become chief selector in February, but declined to take charge last week. The veteran, while turning down the offer, said he does not want to get ‘embroiled in controversy’. Officials close to the matter said Latif wanted to appoint former captain Mohammad Yousuf in the selection committee, but the PCB was reluctant.
Following Latif’s withdrawal, reports suggested that Sethi summoned him on April 14 to hear his grievances with the former captain, saying he has no issues in meeting the chairman if he receives a formal invitation.
But it seems that the PCB is unlikely to convince the former captain and may opt for a new selection committee.
“Latif has pulled out of his commitment to the PCB,” Sethi told The Express Tribune.
“I am very disappointed; the matter is now closed.”
Latif was the third former captain in recent months to quit the post without selecting a single team. Moin Khan and Aamir Sohail were also named replacements after Iqbal Qasim’s resignation from the post last year, but had to leave within a few days due to different reasons.
Speculations are rife that Moin, who failed in his first stint as head coach in the World Twenty20, may come back as the chief selector. He was appointed in the same post by Sethi, but was shown the door by former chairman Zaka Ashraf, who appointed Sohail afterwards.
PCB advised only to back Amir: Sethi
The PCB will not provide support to Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif, unlike Mohammad Amir, who has been given full support
regarding his ban.
However, the former captain, who is serving a 10-year ban in the spot-fixing case, appealed for equal treatment for himself and Asif, who was handed a seven-year ban.
The PCB is only pursuing Amir’s five-year ban, the minimum length of time as per the ICC rules in the aftermath of the 2010 spot-fixing scandal during Pakistan’s tour of England.
Sethi said the PCB was supporting the young fast-bowler after consulting with top lawyers in the UK.
“The PCB took the British Queen’s Counsel’s opinion, which advised only in favour of Amir for various reasons. So I am pursing his case.”
Amir, who was just 18 when he received the ban, got sympathy from various quarters, as he was also the first one to plead guilty of spot-fixing and cooperated with the ICC.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 14th, 2014.